Thursday, September 16, 2010

Module 1

·         Identify a current technology that has emerged in the last few years that shapes learning or productivity in your industry.
    Podcasts and podcasting are being incorporated into today’s classrooms as a means to provide students and teachers opportunities to stay informed with current events, hear and learn from their favorite authors and experts in various fields, and experience new forms of communication.
  • What problems or challenges have been associated with this technology?
While there are a plethora of free podcasts available for teachers and students to download the difficulty lies with the capacity to listen to the podcasts.  The simplest way to retrieve and listen to a podcast is through the use of a desktop/laptop and speakers.  This works really well if you want the entire class to listen to a particular episode but what happens when students are conducting research projects, listening to different books at a listening center, or trying to create their own podcast?  For these situations it would be better to have access to MP3 player or iPods, headphones for all students, headphone splitters for students working in groups, microphones, and quiet or sound proof areas to conduct podcast recordings.  While some of the items on this equipment list are not costly when you add up the cost of the equipment for numerous sets for a class of 20 to 25 students the total equipment cost can be more than the teacher or school is able to supply.
  • What societal need does it meet, and what are its benefits?
Podcasting is a new and exciting way to propel our students forward in the digital communication age.  This new medium will give students a way to get excited about listening to books, hearing the news, and what students their own age have to say and what they think about the world around them.  Listening to podcasts from experts in the field will draw the students in to a wide variety of subjects and in turn the ability to podcast about their own learning will validate the process, making it meaningful and worthwhile.
  • What would make this technology even better, avoiding the pitfalls you identified?
Affordable equipment that is accessible to all schools, teachers, and students will be the first step to more classrooms participating in podcasting.  While we are on the right track, as the price of iPods decreases, there is still room for improvement.

Resources

7 comments:

  1. I have tried to use postcasting in my classroom however I am still working on the simplicity of it for my students. Having mp3 players would definetly be of help. Do you think as mp3 players continue to decrease in price and their use increases that it will be considered a school supply similar to flashdrives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika, Our school and my grade level adopted podcast as out featured technology. I love them, but one of the problems that I've found is with the vodcast (video podcasts) because they are sometimes hard to download in the formats that I come across. I've ended up buying converters to be able to download them. I think the problem is our technology department thinks I know more than what I really do. In addition, they don't like taking time out to help. Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika,

    I can hear the excitement that you have for podcasts and the technological possibilities that the represent. I, too, think they are exciting additions to classroom activities. I retired from teaching before I could really use them. What are some of your personal experiences with them?

    Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne,

    I think it might depend on prioritizing of equipment purchases and available funding. I know that I would like to have access to mp3 players for my students for a listening center and the creation of podcasts. The portability and simplicity of the mp3 player make it the ideal tool for a single student or a pair of students to work quietly and independently without the additional distractions that a laptop brings to the mix. Currently I do not have access to any mp3 players for my classroom except for my own personal itouch that I allow my students to use occasionally. Recently I have been pricing out and keeping an eye on iPod shuffles and nanos on eBay with the thought that if I found a really good price I might take the plunge towards a purchase. Ideally I would like to find a funding source to be able to acquire 5 to 10 nanos for my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb,

    I have been dabbling in using podcasts in my classroom off and on. Do you have some favorite podcasts that you like to use with your students? What kinds of situations do you find yourself using podcasts the most?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyndy,

    Currently most of my experience in using the podcasts with my students has been in the area of current events. I like to have audio or even video clips to add to a lesson as a hook to initially draw in the students’ interest as we begin a new area of study.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika--I find the technology to be immensely useful in my personal life, being able to track favorite news shows for listening when I get a few moments...because of security regulations, iPods and other MP3 devices are not allowed in the workplace where I work, so we have to NOT use this technology when developing instruction and training programs. However, I can certainly see a role for the technology in K-12 classrooms, especially with language learning!

    ReplyDelete